Martinsburg Grace Brethren Church is actively seeking a full-time Pastor for our Youth and Young Adults ministry. In a culture that presents unprecedented pressure to conform to the patterns of this world, our youth and single adults (post- high school) are exposed to many influences that run counter to God’s plan. The church must come alongside these individuals and their Parents to empower them to experience greater transformation by the Word of God.
Martinsburg Grace Brethren Church believes that God intends to make himself known through effective discipleship within the family unit. Faith in him through his Holy Word will be passed on generationally. Families and churches will be stronger when the two function together. When churches come along side families and families are fully integrated into the body of Christ they become durable and growing entities bringing glory to God. The Pastor of Youth and Young Adults will be the catalyst providing leadership, guidance and planning to impact families of junior high and teenage children with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
The Pastor of Youth and Young Adults will provide vision, direction and oversight of all materials, budget, volunteers and programs associated with the weekly ministry to 50-75 youth. He will accomplish the goals and vision of the church by establishing and facilitating the development of sound biblically based relationships, recruitment and development of mature leaders, and creative – goal driven planning. The vision of MGBC is to develop a culture of making disciples by intentionally teaching people to know Christ and obey him. Discipleship will be a priority. The ability to develop relationships, teach biblical principles, lead others and provide ministry oversight are essentials of this position.
The Pastor of Youth and Young Adults will effectively:
• give overall leadership and vision in the area of Youth and Young Adult ministry in alignment with the mission and vision of Martinsburg Grace Brethren Church
• teach the Word of God to youth and young adults.
• establish and facilitate the development of relationships with those under his ministry. This will include parental involvement as necessary.
• recruit, equip and empower effective ministry teams to accomplish the goals and objectives of the Youth and Young Adult ministries.
• provide administrative oversight, planning, scheduling and coordination of the Youth and Young Adult ministries; and will communicate regularly with the Elder Board, Church Board, congregation, parents and staff the vision and progress of the ministry.
• manage the position of Youth and Young Adult Pastor to effectively reach the goals and objectives set forth by the Elders. In addition, to manage the position so that other staff, ministry departments, and the vision of MGBC is accomplished through teamwork in an efficient and effective manner.
• undertake those pastoral duties necessary to shepherd the body. These duties may include sermon presentation, teaching, weddings, funerals, and hospital visits.
Martinsburg Grace Brethren Church operates under a unique team leadership approach. The Pastor of Youth and Young Adults will work closely with the other pastors. This individual will also collaborate with the Elders and other staff to generate vision and direction for the church. His input will be welcome. And his giftedness will be valued in the process of shepherding this body. If appropriate, he will share Sunday morning preaching duties with other pastors on staff. He must be a gifted communicator – willing to preach/teach the word of God in a way that is practical and applicable to the audience.
The Pastor of Youth and Young Adults will:
• Match the qualifications found in 1 Timothy 3:1-7
• Maintain an intimate and vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
• Be creative, willing to work as a team, and maintain a solid work ethic.
• Possess a college degree with specialization in youth ministry
• Have the gift of leadership and teaching (large groups and small) to be able to simplify Biblical principles in a practical way so as to provide life application.
• Be able to generate relational connection with students and adults within his ministry.
• Have an understanding of biblical discipleship and how to engage students and adults within his ministry.
About the Church:
Martinsburg Grace Brethren Church has been in existence for over 120 years. Our goal is to Worship God and Serve others. Our vision is to develop a culture of making disciples by intentionally teaching people to know Christ and obey Him. Currently, worship attendance at our blended style service falls between 500 and 600 people each Sunday. While a multi-generational congregation, God has blessed us with many young families. Children and youth ministry is a core element of our church. To learn more about who we are and learn more about our ministry go to mgbconline.com.
About our Region:
Martinsburg, Pennsylvania is located in rural central Pennsylvania about 20 miles southeast of Altoona. We are about a two hour drive east of Pittsburgh and 1 hour from State College home of Penn State University. Our town is comprised of a little over 2200 people employed in industry, education, small business and farming. We maintain an excellent public school system. Approximately 32% of our citizens are over the age of 65 and 24% comprise the 25-44 year old age bracket.
About the process:
If God is leading you to find out more about the Pastor of Youth and Young Adult position at Martinsburg Grace Brethren Church, please forward us a cover letter and resume. Include names and contact information for references and mail it to:
Martinsburg Grace Brethren Church
300 South Mulberry Street
Martinsburg, Pennsylvania 16662
c/o Amy Costigan, Search and Screen Chair